One woman's adventures in the land of hand made jewellery

Thursday 26 May 2011

Cache-Cache Challenge

The lovely scene to the left is a painting from 1873 by Berthe Morisot, the first of the female impressionist painters. Entitled Cache-Cache (Hide and Seek) it also sets the theme for this months Art Bead Scene challenge.

I loved the colour palette (see below) derived from the picture. And having just made my first silver clay bead from an oddment of clay I'd rolled out, thought I would try making something that combined both. I have also wanted to try making something a bit "folksy'' inspired by some of the slender pieces I've seen for sale in the shops recently. This challenge was my chance to put everything together.

So with a handful of silver speckled glass beads in pale mauve, green, cream and brown plus a hand-made silver wire hook and some shimmery brown embroidery silk, my very first bead has become wearable. Crocheting embroidery silk to form mock chain either side of the central interest is a great way of making a soft delicate thread for a necklace.

Not only is this my first hand-made bead it was also a trial with patterning the surface of the clay using a texture sheet. I am pleased with the result though the pattern is so fine my photography skills don't do it justice.

Finished Piece


Bead Close Up

2 comments: